It is not easy to decide whether to get a hub motor or a crank drive motor for an electric bike, because each motor and its related system has advantages and disadvantages. Here are the pros and cons of both types for an electric bike, so you can decide which would work better for your needs.
Most electric bikes have a motor on the hub or on the crank drive. The vast majority of electric bikes have hub drive motors. However, crank drive motors are readily available on many electric bikes, if you want one. Deciding which to choose is tricky, as both have advantages and disadvantages. The best advice is to be very clear on the pros and cons of each motor, and then decide which works best for your own needs.
These are by far the most common motors on electric bikes, and have been refined and developed over many years into extremely efficient machines. Well, there are some advantages of a hub motor on an electric bike, see as follow:
1. The motor is handily placed in the wheel hub, causing no change in the basic design of the bike.
2. Because of this positioning, a hub motor can be retrofitted to almost any bike using a conversion kit. This may cut your costs,if you already have a suitable bike.
3. Hub motors are relatively simple motors and are completely self-contained. This means you can use one off the shelf on almost any bike, and move it from bike to bike if you upgrade your bike. Designers have the same advantage, and this helps keep the cost of such bikes down.
4. Because the motors are sealed, they are extremely low maintenance. They are usually impervious to wind, rain, snow, and sleet.
5. The hub motor is directly attached to the wheel it is powering, making for high efficiency – the motor can move the wheel very efficiently, as it is in the wheel.
6. The center of gravity is quite low, which is good for balance and retaining the classic bike feel.
7. It is easy to access a hub motor in neo-powers.com if it needs service or repair.
8. If it fails completely, you can usually just replace the motor while not impacting any other part of the bike. You can also easily update to a newer motor if you want.